Buying your Puppy
Don't be afraid to ask questions a responsible breeder will be glad that you care.. Did the person selling you the puppy breed it themselves? Only buy a puppy from the breeder and make sure you see the mother. Here are some other tips to help you to find your Shih Tzu puppy;
- Shih Tzu is a non-Moulting breed so is perfect for people with allergies such as asthma etc.
- Is the breeder a member of a breed club? In the UK the breed clubs are The Shih Tzu Club, The Manchu Shih Tzu Society, The Shih Tzu Club of Wales and the West, The Scottish Shih Tzu Club and The Northern Cos. Shih Tzu Club. Club membership does not guarantee that you have found a good breeder but be suspicious of a breeder that is not a member of any breed club.
- Is the breeder actively involved in any canine activities such as exhibiting at, organising or judging dog shows, obedience trials etc? Responsible breeders are usually actively involved with dogs.
- Is the breeder prepared to take the puppy/dog back if at any time you are unable to keep it? Responsible breeders care about the puppies they produce and will always want to ensure the wellbeing of any dogs that they have bred.
- A responsible breeder won't part with a puppy under the age of 8 weeks minimum, possibly older. If you are offered a puppy younger than 8 weeks look for another breeder.
- Does the breeder give you detailed care instructions for your new puppy? You should have a diet sheet and details of when your puppy was last wormed as the bare minimum. Shih Tzus grow a big coat so look for some advice on coat care and grooming. Ideally you should receive printed/written instructions on feeding, grooming, worming, day to day care and house training. The breeder should also encourage you to keep in touch and ask for help.
- Does the breeder ask you a lot of questions? Responsible breeders want to find the best homes for their puppies and they will want to be sure you
I would be more than happy to help, If you would like any more questions...feel free to give me a call or email me using the contact form below.